Click to Home

Go To Search
Home Print
801 Houston
History of 801 Houston

This site was originally where Hockley County’s second courthouse was built. A third courthouse was built and that courthouse is the one that still stands today.  The site of the second courthouse became the Stroud Hotel. The hotel was named after Hockley County’s first sheriff. The second floor was complete with rooms for reservation while the first floor was used for businesses.  There was a separate entrance on the west side of the building off of Ave G with a staircase that led up to the hotel rooms.  A small café called the Coffee Shop once occupied the entrance space leading up to the hotel rooms.  The first store front on the first floor of the building was Tipp’s Men’s and Ladies Apparel. Ellis Pharmacy was Tipp’s neighbor on the first floor and there was a clothing cleaning service in the back of the first floor behind Tipp’s.  The upstairs hotel closed before 1962 but the first floor continued to be used as business space.  Upshaw Drugstore was a tenant at some point and since then several other tenants such as Hogue Gifts and Framing have also rented the first floor store fronts.  A&A This and That got their start here and the last tenant was a karate studio.  The upstairs is currently undergoing renovations.

To listen to an audio file about the history of 801 Houston click here
 


Upshaw Drug.jpg
Upshaw Drug 1949 ad

A andAs.JPG
A&A's This and That first location
If you are having trouble viewing the pictures on this page please visit our facebook page by clicking on the following link: www.facebook.com/llmainstreet
Then go to photos, then albums, and click on the Downtown Historical Walking Tour Album




City of Levelland
PO Box 1010
City of Levelland
PO Box 1010
Levelland, TX 79336
Ph. (806) 894-0113
Fx. (806) 894-0119